This is an image.

🖖 Vulcan Salute Emoji

This is a table.

A B
1 A/1 B/1
2 A/2 B/2

Do you undo redo?

Undo redo redo undo.

I should have noted what the cat did as the cat has left the editor menu.

What would be nice to add is a highlight code block drop down. (ref)

Some plaintext.

This is plain text in a code block and should have no highlighting. This is in , oops <pre><code> should be visible without escaping.

That is interesting.
Once you click pencil it enters the advanced editor (standard Discourse editor menu).
Also the cat is back!

Hide details
[details="Summary"]
This text will be hidden
[/details]

Some math

e^{ix}=\\cos x+i\\sin x

A poll

[poll type=multiple results=always min=1 max=2 chartType=bar]

• Option one
  • Option two
    [/poll]

Let's not forget the cat.

Oh so the cat transitions us from the advanced editor (standard Discourse editor menu) back into the WYSIWYG editor and corresponding menu.

Looking good!

Well, here I am to test the wysiwyg editor

[code]

This is some markdown. It doesn't work, too bad[/code]

just wanted to mention that I could add an “insert code block” feature very easily. the tag you are using actually looks like bb code and it its just not displayed properly because there is no bbcode plugin installed on this discourse instance. when I am talking about “things not working” i just mean they dont get rendered in the preview. Everything still works in the final post.

Thanks for your answer.

just wanted to mention that I could add an “insert code block” feature very easily.

Yes, I realize my remark was a bit silly. So please let me try to be more constructive. Unfortunately, most of your initial testers will be used to the default Discourse markdown/bbcode. I'm a developer, so what I've tried immediately was to insert a code block. In my opinion, a smart move would be to support all those Discourse default features, either through the plugin UI or through markdown/bbcode compatibility. Otherwise people will complain, as I stupidly did.

the tag you are using actually looks like bb code and it its just not displayed properly because there is no bbcode plugin installed on this discourse instance.

AFAIK, the [code] bbcode I've used is supported in Discourse by default and cannot be disabled.

when I am talking about “things not working” i just mean they dont get rendered in the preview. Everything still works in the final post.

I'm not sure I get your point. The [code] bbcode I've used does not render in the final post.

Anyway, please don't get discouraged and keep up the good work. Discourse would be so much better with a wysiwyg editor…

Okay I understand what you mean. the [ signs get escaped by the editor when the markdown conversion happens. so technically you posted something like "backslash[". if you still want to use these you can still click on advanced editor. But you are right, that feels like a broken experience when you come with the expectation that all of this stuff just works. Okay so moving forward I will tell people to clearly not expect markdown and all these bbcode things. I will make the task bar configurable. I will also move to html only and get rid of the old editor completely. its just too much technical debt. we need to burn the boats here if we want to move forward.
Thats really the core problem I have with markdown, bbcode and all these other weird formats: instead of creating a user interface I can spend my time debugging weird parsing and escaping bugs. And in the end it will still be a cumbersome interface.